Excel – Working with and Identifying Duplicates and Unique Values
Registration Fee – $49
May 12, 2021 – 10:00 am – 12:00 Noon – (2.0 CPE)
Level: Basic – Basic/Intermediate
Prerequisites: A good understanding of Excel basics
Advance Preparation: None
Field of Study: Technical
Presented by: Jim Colville, CPA Retired, CFE
Handout Materials: All files and notes available for download. See below
We continually run across the challenges of working with duplicates and need unique (non-duplicate) records from a list or Excel table. Other challenges is that the data is not in the format we need. This data can be imported data or prepared internally. We then need to cleanse / clean-up the data before we can start work. And many times we have to repeat this process with the next download. Since we don’t have control of this data the challenges of duplicates is magnified. This topic is a variation of our Working with Bad Downloads webinar.
- Identify the possible duplicate, visually and with Excel features or functions
- Is is really a duplicate? (San Diego Padres, The Padres, Padres, SD Padres, S.D. Padres)
- Deal with it. Delete it, Flag it, Delete and Archive for later reference
- Prevent the duplicate in the first place
- Unique values, learn several techniques and when to use them depending on the nature of the data
- Using the newly created Unique list as tool to prevent future duplicates
- Internal data entry vs downloaded data.
- The list goes on, you’re guaranteed to get a more than a full two hours worth in this webinar.
- Excel features used in today’s webinar: Filters, Advance Filter, Pivot Tables, Data Validation, Conditional Formatting, VLookup, CountIF, SumIF, and more
- The new Dynamic Array functions will be introduced, changing the way we approach these types of issues, saving massive amounts of time and simplifying the process in doing so
All the files used in presenting these topics will be available for download before the webinar. The files will contain instructions on how to use the concept which includes the presenter’s notes. The files will remain available online until May 31, 2021.
Jim Colville, Bio
Jim began working with spreadsheets with Lotus 1-2-3, v1a and then with Excel v3, and soon thereafter v4. He learned very early the power of Excel and how to be super productive in solving problems, creating business solutions and enhancing reporting in his CPA practice.
Seeing the business opportunity in educating others in using Excel he began his own PC training company teaching over 20,000 users over a period about four years. The training evolved into a consulting company offering specific solutions to companies and corporations by combining training combined with project challenges which resulted in powerful solutions. A by-product of this is Jim’s Zero Time Reporting, once the data is entered (or imported) the report is done.
Jim has authored well over Excel 500 courses, both as training materials and solution based Excel products for companies, corporations and nonprofit organizations. Many of these later became the foundation of web based articles and solutions under the the name of Info-Stat.com . With the saturation of Internet based Excel websites and Jim’s commitment to his CPA business the Info-Stat website was allowed to sunset. With his retirement from his CPA practice in 2019, Jim has revitalized his web-based activities in by writing articles, creating Excel files that offer solutions, revitalizing Info-Stat.com and more importantly, educational webinars through AEI. Excel has changed dramatically over the years and the new course and webinar offerings significantly modernize the Excel materials including, but not limited to, business and artificial intelligence.
Of major significance is the evolution of Jim’s education activities from a local San Diego PC training company to a national and world wide based company with Internet based products, both website and webinar offerings.